Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mini Chocolate Cake Donuts

My intentions with this blog was to have it be about my everyday life and what I like to do. Apparently, I like to eat! So far, everything on this blog has been food. Today's post is also food...hmmm, I might have a problem. Do they have a foodaholic's anonymous? No? Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to suffer then. ;-)

As I was thinking about what I was going to do for today's post, Ginny (my 7 year old) decided she wanted to make some mini donuts in her donut maker that she got for Christmas. How cute is that?! It makes little mini donuts! My hubby likes to experiment with different things and has used it to even make donut shaped pancakes. I kid you not! Nothing he makes is "normal".


So we decided to use the donut maker for what it was actually made for...donuts. We whipped up a chocolate cake donut concauction and it turned out perfect!


Some left over cream cheese frosting from the carrot cake the other day and some sprinkles and, viola!! We have mini chocolate cake donuts! Perfect for snacktime!



I decided that I'd post the recipe for you if you'd like to have make your own little mini donuts...or big donuts. We don't discriminate in this house!

Chocolate (Mini) Cake Donuts

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened baker's cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (we used buttermilk)
3 Tbs butter, melted
Powdered sugar glaze (we used cream cheese Frosting)
Sprinkles (optional)

If you're not doing them in a mini donut maker like we did, you'll need to set your oven to 325 degrees.

Bring together your flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together your eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick. Mix your butter and milk together in the bowl or measuring cup that you melted the butter in.

Gradually alternate pouring the butter mixture and egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring after each addition. Mix until the batter is smooth and not lumpy.

We put our batter into a ziplock bag and cut a hole in one of the corners. That way, you won't have a huge mess to clean up. Squeeze some batter into your pan or donut maker that has been sprayed with cooking spray about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for approximately 5-8 minutes.

Turn out your donuts onto a wire cooling rack and then pick them up and dip them into your icing so that the tops get completely covered. Immediately take them over to your sprinkles and dip them in icing side down so that the sprinkles can cover the top.

Enjoy your fun and way cute creation!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh very cute! looks like the kids would have a blast with this and it would be a good thing to do for activities and dinners to take to church functions

    ReplyDelete